Challenge 39 - Teach Me - Shaker Card Challenge (tutorial included)

Hello Everyone!! Happy Tiddly Tuesday!! Oh do we have some BEYOND amazing inspiration for you this week!!! (who am I kidding...every week is inspiring to the nth degree!!) But this week, our team has been challenged to create shaker cards for you!! We've included a tutorial attached below for you to follow as that's also YOUR challenge this week!!

We promise, it's not as hard as it may look! And the WOW factor is just over the top! Please don't hesitate to email me with any questions if you get stuck on any part of the tutorial .

Enjoy the gorgeousness that our team has created for you!!! And remember to add your creation to Mr. Linky below!!
Please note: In order to be eligible to be entered to win you must use a Tiddly Image. If you don't have one you can pick up a lovely variety of freebies here!! (you can thank Christy for those! =)

Shaker Card Tutorial
(written by Meredith Winston)

I chose to use a 5.5 x 5.5 card. It's a 'go-to' size for me....I just love it!

I used my Basic Grey magnetic mat (I use it for every project I make!!).

I measured in 1" on each side making sure to use light pencil marks on the inside of the front of my card. This way there are no pencil marks showing on the outside of your card.
You then need to connect the dots to make a square. I then used my craft knife to CAREFULLY follow my ruler to trim out the square. This is the frame of your card.

I then measured the acetate that you need as the "glass" in your frame. You don't need to be as precise with this as the inside cover is covered in the end. You’ll see down below that I’ve demonstrated two different techniques when using acrylic.

For this example, I used traditional "red liner" tape to adhere the acetate to the inside of the frame.

I then brought out my stamps, ink, images and embellishments to decorate both inside and out.

You can use either foam squares as I did here, making absolutely sure that you place them directly next to each other so that the glitter doesn’t sneak out of the edges OR you can use 3-D foam runner tape (it comes on a spool...as opposed to 3-D squares or dots).
I have done two different techniques. My first technique is using a single piece of acrylic as shown here:
I adhered the top of my picture first to make sure that my alignment was correct. I then shook in about...a tablespoon or so of chunky, silver art glitter.

My second example uses an acrylic pre-folded card. I stitched the edges together, dropped in a red cardstock heart that I stamped and heat embossed. I sprinkled my glitter inside and taped up the top. I adhered it in the same manner as the single acrylic sheet. It lends itself to a bit more of a three dimensional look.
But either way you’ll have a fabulous shaker card in the end! I then peeled the backing off of the other 3 sides of the 3-D tape and pressed my image firmly down. I shook any excess glitter off and.....



Jennie said...

Defo doing this one!!

Jennie said...

Fab DT cards! (Sorry pushed send to early hehe)

Jenn Borjeson said...

Ooohhh - this really is a challenge, I am going to have to try this out! Thanks for the tutorial. :)

Starla B. said...

Yay! This looks so fun! Thanks for the tutorial; I cannot wait to try it!

DT...absolutely GORGEOUS cards! You are such an inspirations!!!

Christy/Tiddly Inks Digitals said...

Ladies, you have outdone yourself. :) Amazing!!!

CraftCrave said...

Just a quick note to let you know that a link to this post will be placed on CraftCrave today [23 Feb 12:00am GMT]. Thanks, Maria

tamara davis said...

can't wait to make a card! thanks so much for having free images for us to use to complete the challenges. It's so nice to not have to spend the extra money just to have fun with you all! I wish more challenge blogs would do that!

Jennie said...

Love Love Loved this challenge! xx